After losing to Dinamo Zagreb away and Olympiacos F.C. at home, Arsene Wenger’s side are for sure in desperate need of a result if they want to have a realistic chance of reaching the Champions league last 16 stage, but the task ahead of Gunners is everything but no easy as on the other side stands the German giant Bayern Munich who is in superb form.
UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
October 20, 2015 • 19:45 • Emirates Stadium, London
Referee: C. Çakιr
Arsenal vs Bayern Live Streams
As for their mutual stats, Bayern Munich have beaten Arsenal on their two trips to the Emirates in the Champions League (3-1 in February 2013, 2-0 in February 2014)
Before the opening match of the Group F, Arsenal and Bayern Munich were standing as the biggest favourites for the top two places.
But already from the first match and a shocking defeat against Dinamo Zagreb where the French striker Giroud helped the Croatian team by getting a red card, things went “south” for the English side.
That one bad news doesn’t come alone, proved the second round when Olympiacos F.C. have taken all three points from Emirates. Now after two rounds Gunners are lying at the bottom of Group F, but this is football and all its unpredictability and magic.
Arsenal now have to look for some kind of a miracle to keep their chances of reaching the last 16 stage realistic. Gunners have to beat Bayern Munich with whom they play twice, but, German side is not an easy team to beat. Under Pep Guardiola the Germans are flying high, both in Bundesliga and Champions league in which by scoring 8 goals they stand as the most effective team, while on the other side, Germans defence didn’t concede any. All this proves that Wenger and his men will have a very tough task this night at Emirates, especially when they have to go for a win.
The good news for Arsenal is the Premier league current good form, where Gunners have connected three straight wins, including a big one against Manchester United 3-0, and with the same result Wenger’s men have celebrated against Watford in the last round.
The biggest hope for Wenger is definetly Alexis Sanchez who is in fine form both for his team and the national team of Chile. As usually Wenger has and some injury problems but the squad depth is big, so this should not be a problem.
Speaking of the upcoming clash against Bayern, Wenger has said:
– How to beat Bayern? Firstly, we have to play as against Manchester United. Secondly, we need to calm down the game and we have to believe in ourself and for the third we must not allow them to dictate the game – explained experienced Wenger regarding what is expected of Arsenal, who with the ball possession is one of the few teams that can match the club led by Josep Guardiola.
– Bayern likes to have the ball and therefore we have to be the team that will keep the ball more and then patiently build our attacks. It’s most important thing to take advantage of the opportunities that we create – who can’t count on Welbeck, Wilshere and Rosicky, while the goalkeeper Ospina is doubtful.
– During the first two group matches we were not at the top level which was needed for winning the Champions League games and we pay for that. Tonight that won’t be a case and we try to grab a victory. We defeated Bayern and before so there is no reason not to repeat the same – Wenger hopes.
Incredible Bayern Munich led by Pep Guardiola is flying high. Germans side is the most effective Champions league team currently and they yet haven’t conceded any goals. In the last six games in all competitions, Bavarian machine have scored 22 goals and conceded only two goals. In the last round away at Werder without many key players Bayern celebrated with 1-0. Muller was the only scorer, while in the round before at home, Bayern Munich smashed Borussia Dortmund with high 5-1.
– Against Werder we didn’t find some easy space to combine, in this context, it was seen that we miss a lot of wingers, but I can say that we deserved to win a tough game.
However, our game can be a lot better, I hope that with the gradual return of some injured player our game will rise – analyzed the coach Guardiola.
Speaking of a game with Arsenal, Guardiola said:
– There is 90 minutes at the start where before the result is 0:0, not six points for Bayern, and none for Arsenal.
– We still have not qualified and we have to beat one of the best European teams, and I do not care whether they score or not. Arsenal have quality players and excellent technicians and it is difficult to find players in Arsenal who can not control the ball.
– This is Arsenal’s last chance, and they will do their best. If we would welcome Arsenal in Munich with zero points, we would play like a beasts. That is their advantage, they must win. But we have to play intelligently and to control the game.
Guardiola “against” Wenger played six times and only once has been defeated, enrolling three wins in the process, while Bayern Munich in the season 2013 and 2014 in the eighth finals of the Champions League played with Arsenal, winning both times at Emirates with 3: 1 and 2:0. In total, these two teams played in the European Cup eight times, Bayern have won four and losing two of them.
Team probable lineups
Arsenal: Cech – Monreal, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Bellerin – Coquelin, Cazorla – Ramsey, Özil, Sanchez – Walcott
Out: Ospina, Welbeck, Rosicky, Wilshere
Bayern Munich: Neuer – Rafinha, J. Boateng, Javi Martinez, Alaba – Xabi Alonso – Lahm, Thiago, T. Müller, Douglas Costa – Lewandowski
Out: Ribery, Badstuber, Benatia, Rode, Götze, Robben