It’s that time of year in Manchester when all other things fall to second plan, and the only questions remains to be seen, who rule in Manchester, the blue or the red..
October 25, 2015 • 14:05 • Old Trafford, Manchester
Referee: M. Clattenburg
Manchester United – Manchester City Live Stream
This Sunday in Premier league’s 10th round on schedule is a big derby game between to Manchester sides, where the Red Devils are the hosts. It will be the 170th meeting between Manchester United – Manchester City, and the game where Schweinsteiger & De Bruyne are set to make their derby debuts. Citizens currently sit on the second having one point less than the first placed Arsenal, but Pellegrini’s men have played as LVG’s men a game less. United sit on the fourth with 19 points, so a win for Man Utd could make the Premier league race for the top even more interested.
As for their previous meetings, Man Utd this year in April celebrated at Old Trafford with 4-2, finally ending Citizens’ dominance who have connect four straight derby wins.
Both coaches Louis van Gaal and Manuel Pellegrini are trying to calm down “the ball” and make it more as just one of the matches, and thus to remove the pressure from the back of their players, but we all know this is not just a game, as two bitter rivals are set to clash this Sunday afternoon.
So, for example, Van Gaal role of favorites gives to Man City, although the Citizens are coming at Old Trafford without their two best players David Silva and Sergio Agüero, while Pellegrini firmly states that “this derby will decide not decide the champion.”
– We should ask the fans who the favorite is, but it does not matter. If you look at the table, they are above us, so they are the favorites.
– We had a day less to prepare due to our travel from Moscow, and we did not trained hard to avoid injuries, explains Louis van Gaal, whose team is in the Champions League with CSKA played 1: 1 in the even match, but in general the Red Devils still do not provide good performances in continuity.
– Last season we beat City at Old Trafford 4: 2 and then we were in better shape than now, but now we have a better choice of players – Van Gaal believes that three defenders out of action (Young, McNair, Shaw) would not be a big problem for his side.
– The Premier League is the most difficult league to win because it has the largest number of good clubs, and neither side is easy to beat, and in the meantime we need to play European matches. It is not easy and this league needs a winter break because it is worrying that the English clubs in Europe for a long time can’t win anything.
Manchester City had an easy job in the last two league matches with Newcastle and Bournemouth in which the Citizens have score 11 goals, while in the Champions League vs Sevilla De Bruyne in the injury time has scored a winner for the final to 2:1.
The bad news for Man City ahead of this derby game is that two key players like Aguero and Silva are out, while the same can be said for Nasri, Clichy and Delph. Captain Kompany after recoving from an injury has lost his place in the first team.
– I have no problems with Kompany, nor do I punish him. Simply I always choose the most fit players for the game, and the same will be and for the derby – explained Pellegrini.
– This is a game that is worth six points as they say, because we’re playing against the club, which is behind us, but it will not decide the champion. Still, this is a derby game and as such is always a special one.
Of the last five Derbies Man City has won four, while in the past nine Premier league’s and 11 if we add the FA Cup, neither game ended with a draw. In the last 10 mutual encounters between two Manchester Sides, 41 goals was scores, with a 26:15 in favour of Citizens.
Team Probable lineups
Man Utd: De Gea – Darmian, Smalling, Jones, Rojo – Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger – Mata, Rooney, Herrera – Martial
Out: Young, Shaw, Valdes, McNair
Man City: Hart – Zabaleta, Mangala, Otamendi, Kolarov – Toure, Fernandinho – Navas, De Bruyne, Sterling – Bony
Out: Agüero, Silva, Nasri, Clichy, Delph